Reflection on the Global Scholars Program

  • What did you learn from GIP and the Global Scholars Program this year?
Being a Global Scholar was a very enriching experience. I would say that I most directly learned how to conduct myself in large groups of people more effectively through moderating the panel with Joe Wong and Clement Cid, as well as how to set up an interview. The unexpected transition to the online interview format also pushed me to learn how to edit video. Through the class, I was able to hear the perspectives of other Global Scholars and attend numerous presentations given by experts on development economics, sustainability, and human rights issues.

  • What is the legacy you and your fellow cohort members will be leaving when you graduate?
Something I'm happy about is that the video recording of my interview with Dr. Cid will be accessible online. This means it will have continued impact long after the event's actual occurrence and hopefully reach more people outside the Poly community than if I were to conduct an in-person interview. Many of my fellow cohort members are also conducting projects along the same vein and will leave a unique digital legacy behind when it comes to taping videos or creating websites to inform the greater community. 

  • How will you continue your trajectory in Global Citizenship?
I hope to educate myself globally during college concurrently with technical education. I would ultimately like to build my skills in the natural sciences such that they can be applied to greater issues and strengthen my knowledge of issues by talking with others from diverse backgrounds later in my educational life. 

  • What do you thing Poly should do to further our work in educating global citizens and leaders?
I believe the Poly community at large is not aware enough of the opportunities the GIP provides. I myself was not attending many events until my junior year despite having involved myself with the global community. I feel like the Global Initiatives Program should take more steps to presenting itself as a program earlier in high school, say sophomore or even freshman year. Global Scholars for me felt like something I would not have to worry about for a while in my freshman and sophomore year when I saw it as an option on my course selection forms, so I never thought much about the process until junior year came along. I also think Global Scholars should be extended to allowing juniors and seniors join. I don't think it is a program that should be confined to one year and believe greater impact can be created if students participate in the program for two years, for instance. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Capstone Update/Mental Health Post

Books I've read this summer for global education

Capstone Project Presentation Reflection